Re: passwd and ldap

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 02:58:06PM +0200, Martin Marcher wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I set up my system to authenticate against ldap,
>
> id ; getent passwd; getent group # all show the correct information

Do you also have ldap setup in your pam configuration?  This is what I
have:

common-account: account         sufficient      pam_ldap.so
common-auth:    auth            sufficient      pam_ldap.so
common-password:password        sufficient      pam_ldap.so

In each case, the line appears just before the corresponding pam_unix.so
line.

> However when I su to a user and do passwd the following happens:
>
> $ passwd
> passwd: User not known to the underlying authentication module
> passwd: password unchanged
>
> Where do I tell passwd that my accounts are in ldap. (Or what even
> bugs me more is that the "pam_password_prohibit_message" arent honored
> in the config file, seems I'm missing something)

In order to have the password change work on my systems, I put into
/etc/pam_ldap.conf and /etc/libnss-ldap.conf this line:

pam_password exop

That makes all the hashing occur on the LDAP server.  That way, you can
store the passwords as MD5, SHA1 or whatever hash you want without
worrying if the clients know how to perform that hash.

Of course, as you may or may not notice, if the client does not need to
know the hashing algorithm: how does it send the password?  In the
clear.  So, you want to setup SSL and allow only ldaps:// access on your
network.

Regards,

-Roberto

--