Re: [OT] Good, evil and religion [WAS] Re: A way to compile 3rd party modules into deb system?

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 06:04:09PM +0200, Joe Hart wrote:

> The same can be said about package managers.  While we all most likely
> agree that apt is a superior package manager, there are those that think
> RPM is by far better, and others that think the only real way to run a
> GNU/Linux system is to compile everything yourself.  We can't all be right.

To nitpick, rpm is on the same level as dpkg.  They are only package
managers on the lowest level.  As in, they let you install directly from
a file on disk, list the contents of packages, and so on.

At least, generally when people talk about package managers, they
usually mean something like synaptic, aptitude or even apt-get.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez