Re: Since chvt works, the problem must be the keymap [SOLVED]

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 11:40:02PM -0400, Amy Templeton wrote:
> Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:
>
> > What do you see if you disable your workaround, run
>
> > tail -fn0 /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> > and press CTRL+ALT+F1?
>
> Well...if I do that while I'm still in the XTerm, I see...
>
> ^[[1;7P

that's not good. THat means X is ignoring those keystrokes and passing
them through to Xterm.

> ...but I think that's just XTerm freaking out. When another frame
> is focused and I press the buttons, there is no output.

the other frames provide no output because thety are ignoring
key-presses they don't know how to deal with, I assume.

> > If you get some errors or warnings related to switching graphics
> > modes then we know that the key combination does work after all
> > and that there is a problem with the graphics driver. If there is
> > no output at all then we know that your keysyms are still not set
> > up correctly.
>
> It appears, then, to be the latter.
>
> > It might also be illuminating to try if the switching works with
> > the "gb" layout even if this layout is not an acceptable
> > permanent solution.
>
> Well, that's interesting. It did work properly using the "gb"
> layout (though it took me a while to figure that out, since I
> thought the keyboard wasn't working at all, but it turns out there
> were just some problems until I disabled my xmodmap). That's very
> weird.

what happens when you disable your xmodmap with a "us" layout?

> One thing that I saw in the startx output using the "gb" layout
> that I definitely do *not* see under the "us" layout was the
> following...

are you seeing this on the VT you launched X from or is it in the
logs?

> CODE:
> ___________________________
>
> SetGrabKeysState - disabled
> ___________________________
>
> ...upon switching to the console, and...
>
> CODE:
> __________________________
>
> SetGrabKeysState - enabled
> __________________________
>
> ...upon switching back to X. Is this inspiring at all?
>
> > This might at least provide an opportunity to revive the "color
> > vs. colour" thread that we had a while back...
>
> Oh dear...and that of course brings up "gray vs. grey," "center vs.
> centre," "boot vs. trunk," and all those other bizarre little
> spelling differences that don't actually make a difference in
> pronunciation ("boot" is *totally* still pronounced "trunk" in GB,
> I swear).

I love how the spell "kitchen sheers" in the uk:
"kitchen-cester-sheers"