Re: Affecting Institutional Change (Yeah Right)

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 10:03:18PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/08/07 21:55, Amy Templeton wrote:
> [snip]
> > It's a private college, and have no desire to make this anywhere
> > near that insane, but thank you nonetheless. I'm basically
> > wishfully hoping for a quiet solution.
>
> If it's liberal, and it probably is, you could claim Discrimination.
>  All the more so since you're female.

I was thinking along the same lines. It *is* discrimination, in a way
in that you've made a choice about how to operate you're computer and
they are preventing you from fully participating in your educational
experience because of a failure to use open accessible formats.

You could also claim hardship: why should you be forced to spend money
for a product that is *NOT* required to complete your education, other
than the fact that they are trying to make you use it. Books, general
supplies, fine, but forcing one word processor over another is
ridiculous.

Also, what is your comp-sci department like? Are they not a good
source for at least moral support? or are they stuck using VB and javascript
coding from a gooey IDE...