Re: [OT] The record industry, RIAA and US law

Curt Howland wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 May 2007, Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl> was heard to say:
>> ýNo wonder so many people are starting to think
>> poorly of the U.S. government.
>
> Lots of Americans have been warning anyone who will listen about the
> dangers of the centralization of power in the Fed.Gov, and the abuses
> that it would, and did, foster, since before the Constitution was
> ratified.
>
> The Declaration of Independence was a unanimous document, the
> Constitution merely "majority". Right there, a step backwards.
>
> Although somewhat hard to read, due to the change in language in two
> hundred years, the Anti-Federalist Papers still make fine reading for
> those that think "abuse of power" is a modern invention.
>
> http://www.constitution.org/afp/brutus01.htm
>
>> We can hope that things like this will change when the Democrats
>> get control. ýDon't hold your breath.
>
> The Democrats have held a majority in Congress for 182 days. I stopped
> holding my breath a long time ago.
>
> It doesn't take being an anarchist to know that there isn't any
> difference between "Republican" and "Democrat". It's all just
> carefully crafted false ideologies designed to "divide and conquer".
>
> I wouldn't trust any professional politician to change my tire without
> trying to steal the lug nuts, regardless of party or nationality.
>
> Daniel Webster - "In every generation, there are those who want to
> rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters -
> but they mean to be masters."
>
> Why is the RIAA still able to get away with their fear tactics?
> Because they know who to bribe. Centralized power creates a "target
> of opportunity" for corruption. Europe is learning this the hard way
> now, too.

Yes, I agree with you.  One of the reasons I am no longer in the United
States, although it isn't the main reason.  I live in a country that
still maintains some bit of freedom, although that is eroding thanks to
the EU.  I voted no to the EU Constitution, as did the majority of the
Dutch and French people.  At least our governments gave us private
citizens an opportunity to vote.  That is not the case in many other
European countries.

Alas, The United States of Europe is on its way.  I just hope I am dead
before it is formed.

Joe
- --