Re: etch in amd64: system freezes

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 12:47:20PM -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have installed etch in a new AMD64 machine. My problem is the
> following: after a very little activity in the Gnome desktop, the system
> freezes (even an open window terminal freezes)  and only a hard reboot
> bring the system back.
> If during the boot I interrupt the window manager with ctrl+alt+f11 and
> switch to a terminal, with alt+f1 for example, the system works
> perfectly. The problem seem to be with the graphical interface.
>
> I ran memtest86+, and everything is ok, no error was reported. My system
> is the following:
>
> CPU: Athlon64 2043 MHz
> Mem: 1024 Mb
> Chipset: VIA K8T800 pro (Abit AV8 motherboarad)
> RAM: 204 MHz (DDR408) / CAS: 3-3-3-8 /DDR-1 (128 bits)
> Video card: ATI Radeon Mobility 9200 (AGP)
>
> I googled the internet and looked the debian arquives too (debian-user
> and debian-amd64), but I didn't find any clue. I will appreciate very
> much any help.

do you have any logs? specifically, look at /var/log/Xorg.log and
syslog

also, put up a top instance in a terminal on the screen and watch what
happens, maybe you can see something take hold of the system.

also, is the system really freezing? or is something just grabbing all
the cpu or some other resource? do the num lock and caps lock lights
respond?

in other words, give us some more information about what is happening.