Re: Re: Problem with xmms on debian etch 4.0 stable

> On 5/3/07, Vidyadhar Gadgil <vgadgil@gmail.com> wrote:
>         With XMMS 1:1.2.10+20061 installed on debian etch 4.0 stable, the menu
>         display does not show up properly after right-clicking, the items cannot
>         be read. I don't think this is a problem with xmms per se, probably with
>         gtk? Anyway, I am not sure, but a similar problem happened on a friend's
>         system, so the problem is probably easily replicable. Under what
>         programme would one file a bug report for this?
>
> Probably bug #334040 or #287520.
>
> What happens if you do an 'export LC_LANG=C' from the console and run
> xmms from that console?

Thanks a ton for this. Typing 'LANG=C' and then opening xmms from the
SAME CONSOLE/TERMINAL works perfectly (opening xmms directly from menu
or in another terminal does not). 'export LC_LANG=C' does not work.

Anyway, I have filed bug reports under both the numbers you have
specified above.

Those bug reports indicate it is either a problem with locale having
UTF-8, or with gtk1.2.

How would one solve the problem permanently, some entry in one of the
config or start up files? (Tried adding LANG=C to my ~/.xmms/config file
but no luck.) Or would changing the locale without UTF-8 help, but how
would that affect other programmes?

--
Question everything -- Karl Marx