Re: How do I start a X session on another machine

On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 10:10:23PM +0100, Andrew Lindley wrote:
> I have 2 machines running Woody and not enough desk space for both
> screens and keyboards. I'd  like to be able to run X sessions on both
> machines from only one of the machines. When I ran SuSE I could use
> xhost +<host ip> to allow remote (or even other local users) access to
> the display. This doesn't work on Debian.

The debian default config is for the X server *not* to listen on any
network ports (secure-by-default and all that). Hence, the X server will
not be be directly available from other machines.

> Could someone tell me what the correct incantation is?

There's two ways that I know of:

- If you are on a LAN that you trust (=nobody will be sniffing the
  traffic), you could consider letting the X server listen on TCP/IP.
  Bring up the GDM configurator - there should be a an option for that
  at the login window - or if you're logged in already (I know: you are
  reading mail, so you must be. I can tell...) go
  Desktop->Administration->Login Window and check out the Security tab

- Use SSH X forwarding

Disclaimer: I'm running etch. I can barely remember woody - GDM is
probably different in woody...

--
Karl E. Jorgensen
karl@jorgensen.org.uk  http://www.jorgensen.org.uk/