Re: Etch 32-bit system w/ AMD64 proc.

Does anyone have any instructions on nvidia using amd64 kernel on etch i386
userspace? I am trying the "debian way" from

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

but fail with errors on conversion from elf32-i386 to elf64-x86-64 on the

m-a auto-install nvidia
step.

/Andreas Rönnquist
andreas.ronnquist@gmail.com

AFAIK you can't do this. The nvidia module has 64-bit and 32-bit versions and having a amd64 kernel makes it think you are trying to build the 32-bit version on a 64-bit system hence the error. If you use the -k7 kernel it will build, but you lose some of the special features of the processor, not sure which but you can compare the output of 'cat /proc/cpuinfo' on both kernels and google for any differences.

I compile my own kernel and select the K8 processor type, but this does not change the architecture of the kernel so the module builds like this also.

HTH

Wackojacko