Re: Debian Install problems

On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 22:48 -0700, Buzz wrote:
[snip]
> ...so I booted from a rescue CD and checked the partition table for /
> dev/sda.  Here is a summary of each device:
>
> sda1 is the largest partition with the boot sector and vista, NTFS,
> ~95GB
> sda2 appears to be a hidden windows recovery partition, ~2GB
> sda3 is the linux filesystem which is supposed to mount at /  when
> booted, 10GB
> sda4 is another windows partition for recovery ~6GB
> sda5 is the swap partition "Linux Swap/Solaris" at 2GB
>
> I tried mkswap /dev/sda5 followed by swapon /dev/sda5 to no avail.
>
> So, I guess I'm feeling pretty clueless here.

I have to tell you, that there can only be 4 PRIMARY or EXTENDED
partitions on a single disk. If you want more, you have to have a
secondary partitions that are encompassed in an extended partition.
Usually you only have one extended partition.

I'd use them this way for a reason:

        Partition 1 (or sda1 for you) Windows
        Partition 2 (or sda2 for you)
        Partition 3 (or sda3 for you)
        Partition 4 (or sda4 for you) secondary/extended
        Partition 5 (inside sda4)
        Partition 6 (inside sda4 again)
        Partition 7 (inside sda4 again)
        Partition 8 (inside sda4 again)
        Partition 9 (inside sda4 again)

If Vista created those partitions rather than the Installer, I'd be
suspicious. If I were you, I'd let the installer delete the partitions
you made in Vista for Linux and then let it do the auto-magical splits
for you.

Then if you want let it write the MBR. Unless you want Vista to control
the booting, then you will have to write the boot record to the "/"
partition and let Vista "boot" the Linux bootable record... by adding a
boot entry to the "boot.ini" (unless that was removed)

> FWIW, I was able to install using the same DVD image on an older
> laptop (only linux--no dual boot) with no problems.

That's cool. Just remember Vista assumes it is the ONLY OS on the
machine. This is both bad and good.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup