Re: Since chvt works, the problem must be the keymap

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 04:31:53PM EDT, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 16:03:42 -0400, Amy Templeton wrote:
> > Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > > Check what is assigned to keycode 67. I see this:
> >
> > > $ xmodmap -pk | egrep '^[ ]+67 '
> > >      67         0xffbe (F1)     0x1008fe01 (XF86_Switch_VT_1)
> >
> > > If your output looks different then you can try if
> >
> > > xmodmap -e 'keycode  67 = F1 XF86_Switch_VT_1'
> >
> > > restores the VT switching.
> >
> > Well, I've got what seems to be the correct output. Also,
> > xev seems to read things fine from what I can tell. I would
> > be glad to provide the exact output if it would be helpful.
>
> At the moment it seems to me that we have checked all the common
> pitfalls and still we have no clue why VT switching does not work for
> you. Pretty much all that we can do now is poke at a few more things and
> hope that a hint comes up. I am now simply very curious what events are
> reported when you press CTR + ALT + F1. The KeyPress events for CTRL and
> ALT should harbor no surprises, but what happens with F1? Is it reported
> as keysym "F1", is it recognized as keysym "XF86_Switch_VT_1" or is it
> swallowed by X?
>
> I would also suggest that you check the end /var/log/Xorg.0.log right
> after you try to switch VTs. I see these new lines in the log after I
> switch to tty1 with CTRL + ALT + F1:
>
> (II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
> (II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 0
> (II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 1
> (II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 2
> (II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 3
> (II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 4
>
> Maybe your VT switching is indeed blocked by a problem with the graphics
> driver as suggested earlier by cga. In that case I would hope that the
> log will give us a hint what to do about it.

Normally, that would have been my first reaction to the problem.  But
then this was some 4-5 years ago and I can't be sure I looked .. or if
I saw anything.

Also, I'm not sure the behavior of xev is to be relied upon in this
case.  From a totally non-technical standpoint, it could be that when
CTRL+Alt+Fn "works" as intended, xev never gets to "see" it .. and otoh,
when it does not, the keycode gets passed to xev.  If you follow my
general train of thought.

If I was experiencing such a problem at this point I think I would
subscribe to one of the X.org mailing lists.  They are clearly meant for
developers only and these folks may very well not be willing to deal
with us mortals .. but then they should be able to tell us where to go
to try and figure out what this problem is ..

worth a try?

Thanks,
cga