Re: XDMCP

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, Daniel D Jones wrote:

Running unstable.  Trying to get XDMCP working via KDM.  On the local host,
everything works.  KDM gives me a graphical login prompt, and KDE loads when
I log in.  From a remote machine, however, I get what appears to be a pure X
session with no Windows manager running.  I get the hollow X cursor, and am
able to move it with the mouse.  However, neither left nor right clicks do
any thing - no menu or anything.  Clicking and dragging doesn't generate a
dotted outline selection.  No key presses appear to do anything.  Not sure
where to go from here.  Hints and suggestions welcome.

Checkout /etc/kde3/kdem/Xaccess to see what sorts of xdmcp access you are allowing. At the least you want to offer:

*                                       #any host can get a login window

You may also want to allow:

*               CHOOSER BROADCAST       #any indirect host can get a chooser

Also you need to enable xdmcp in kdmrc:

# Whether KDM should listen to incoming XDMCP requests.
# Default is true
Enable=true

Restart kdm at this point.

Make sure you backup kdmrc before making any changes so you can rollback if you break it.

One more thing: There is a reported but unfixded bug in kdm in Debian/Ubuntu going back a long way which is causing some xdmcp configurations to fail when they really are ok. If you look in your logs you'll see reports of kdm_greet getting memory corruption if you are getting this problem. As a result of this problem I recently migrated a bunch of thin client servers to use gdm instead of kdm.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.        Phone:          +1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant  Urgent Support: +1-416-669-3073