Etch, unexplained reboots?

We're examining this, but a system at work has for the last two nights
rebooted unexpectedly. The logs show:

Apr 10 04:15:59 dhserver shutdown[4111]: shutting down for system reboot
Apr 11 02:10:33 dhserver shutdown[6717]: shutting down for system reboot

The system had been tracking Etch prior to the release, and Monday it
received a new kernel - the kernel that was released with Etch. That night
was the first spontaneous reboot.

An oddity is that on coming back up, we found it sitting at a GRUB prompt. It
evidently couldn't find /boot/grub/menu.lst. Hitting ctrl-alt-del to reboot
from there showed it booting normally, however. This makes me question
whether it's an issue with the kernel or not, as the kernel would have to
munge the disk controller or something in such a way that it would be
confused on the next reboot, but able to figure itself out again sub-
sequently.

There's nothing in the logs indicating a disk error. There's nothing in
the logs indicating what caused the reboot, either, and that is to a large
extent what concerns me. Ideas would be appreciated!

The box is a Dell, and has one SATA drive and one PATA... It has been rock
solid until this kernel upgrade. It's a production box, so this is a bit
worrisome. :)

Thanks in advance!

I'll be happy to provide any additional information folks might want.

--
Mason Loring Bliss    ((    IF I HAD KNOWN IT WAS HARMLESS
 mason@blisses.org     ))    I WOULD HAVE KILLED IT MYSELF.