Re: XEN: monitor domU cpu, ram and disk activity under cacti

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 11:25:31AM +0100, Philippe Lang wrote:
> I'd like to monitor the cpu, ram and disk activity of xen domU servers,
> under cacti.
>
> Since I do not manage the domU servers myself, I'd like to be able to do
> that from the dom0 exclusively.

You are not going to be able to monitor RAM usage in a Xen virtual
machine from outside, as far as I am aware.

CPU:

The output of "xm list -l" contains cpu time used for each domain in
milliseconds.  You can poll this every 5 minutes (for example) and
by that method calculate a percentage CPU use.  Add up all the CPU
time used and divide by 5 minutes and you have the percent of total
CPU usage for the whole system.

Disk:

"iostat -x" will show you activity of block devices, including the dm
devices you used for domU filesystems.  You are using LVM, right?

Not sure if it will show the same info for AoE, DRBD or other more
exotic devices, as I don't use any yet.

You didn't ask about network traffic, but it's a common question in
this area.  The "vifname" parameter in the xen config file can be
used to give the domU a static virtual interface name, which can be
monitored like any other inerface with, e.g. cacti.

Hope that was in some way useful.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB