Re: A Republican!!!!!! (was Re: OT: sponge burning!)

On  7 Mar, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 10:18:22AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
>>

> You seem to have this misconception that before cars, everyone used
> public transit.  In reality, people rode horses or carriages and
> walked. Public transit was known in only a few cities, mostly the
> bigger and more densely populated.

    You seem to not be aware of some history in this regard.  In the
first half of the last century, there were many public transit systems,
bus and trolley, and not only in the larger cities.  Many of these were
bought up by the automotive companies and shut down to increase their
sales.  The "big three" US auto companies were convicted of something
(restraint of trade, IIRC) for these actions, but the resulting fines
were not even a slap on the wrist for them.  Of course, not everyone
used public transport, but it was pretty common in most urban areas.

     For example, when my mother was growing up, in the 1930s, Albany
had a pretty good trolley system that was used extensively.  It also
linked it to nearby Troy, Schenectady, and some smaller surrounding
towns.  The current population of Albany is around 100,000; I have no
idea what it was back then.  That trolley system was one of the above
mentioned victims.  This area is now served by CDTA bus service, which
I'd give mixed reviews.  Some areas are served very well, and others
not nearly so.

     Public transportation is not the entire answer, but it does serve
a purpose.  Many people in this area use public transit some days, and
drive some days, depending on their schedule.

-Chris

|   Christopher Judd, Ph. D.                      judd@wadsworth.org   |