Re: X Authentication Problem

Kent West wrote:
David A. Parker wrote:
X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
giving up.
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console

I have tried it both with and without the "DISPLAY=:0.0" at the beginning. Also, "startx" works as root.

I think at this point I'd rename mythtv's home directory and create a new blank one (make sure to get the perms correct on the directory), and try starting X then to see what happens.

Hmmm...

As root:

# mv mythtv mythtv.BAK
# mkdir mythtv
# chown mythtv:mythtv mythtv
# chmod 0755 mythtv
# su - mythtv

Then as "mythtv":

$ ls -la
total 8
drwxr-xr-x  2 mythtv mythtv 4096 Mar  7 12:55 .
drwxrwsr-x  5 root   staff  4096 Mar  7 12:55 ..
$ startx
xauth:  creating new authority file /home/mythtv/.Xauthority
xauth:  creating new authority file /home/mythtv/.Xauthority
Using authority file /home/mythtv/.Xauthority
Writing authority file /home/mythtv/.Xauthority
Using authority file /home/mythtv/.Xauthority
Writing authority file /home/mythtv/.Xauthority
X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
xinit:  Server error.
Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console

I tried this a couple of times and it consistently failed.  The new
/home/mythtv/.Xauthority file it created was empty.  I also tried using
xauth and mcookie to add new cookies, but it still didn't work:

mythtv@lipton:~$ startx
X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
xinit:  Server error.
Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console

Even though it is not recommended, will setting allowed_users to
"anybody" in /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config solve this?

    Thanks!
    Dave

--

Dave Parker