Re: DVD ripping/copying/demacroing/deregionalizing

In article <[🔎] 45EC7D40.7070304@sbcglobal.net>,
   Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> What is the preferred toolchain to use on Debian for creating
> backup copies of DVDs (movie, not data)? It appears that K3b
> may be able to make exact copies of DVDs without any option
> to modify the content at all. Is this correct?

There are various options for you to try.

You can use DVDShrink under Wine.
This will copy a DVD Movie disk and put it on a 4,7GB DVD or 8GB DVD for
you.

You can use lxdvdrip natively under linux.  This takes just the main movie
and one or more audio streams, squashes it and puts it on a 4,7 DVD for
you.  DVDshrink sometimes has trouble reading some of the more obscurely
protected discks under linux, so you may need to use vobcopy nativley or
dvdfabdecoder under wine to get the vobs onto the harddisk to work with.

You can use dvdrip natively under linux.  This takes a movie off the dvd,
squahes it so that it fits on a VCD or SVCD (or more than one) for you.
VCDs are playable in almost all dvd players, SVCDs are playable in nearly
almost all dvdplayers.

I have had great success using dvdrip outputting to 2SVCDs per film - I
find the quality comparible to a normal DVD size movie.
More recently I use DVDShrink under wine, and have no problems, and it is
faurly quick.

I hope this helps,
Nik

--
welcome to the blood red crimson sky of another imperial day