No modules.dep

Hi,

In booting one kernel version I get a string of messages flashing by at boot in the very beginning:

FATAL: modprobe: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.20-ck1/modules.dep

That message is from modprobe in the initrd.img that is loaded first.

And true enough: examining the initrd.img: there is no such module there.

However... booting another kernel version in the same partition I get no such messages flashing by and examining *that* initrd.img it did not have a modules.dep *either*.

So what is going on? Neither have modules.dep in that directory in the initrd image, why does one complain and the other not?

Googling for that message gets a couple of hits and what is suggested, more or less, is to regenerate the initrd image.

But why does that solve anything if no modules.dep is found in the image?

Both kernels have a proper modules.dep in their respective /lib/modules/<version>

Hugo