PS/2 - USB Adaptor for keyboard

I'm trying to use a simple (cheap) PS/2 keyboard with a laptop which
has no PS/2 ports. There are various PS/2 - USB available all over the
internet; I bought a cheap one on Ebay. It is a very simple little
thing, and I don't think it has any sort of electronics inside, and it
doesn't seem to work. The keyboard is not recognized at all, neither in
the console nor in X, it doesn't appear in the output of lsusb, and it
isn't recognized by MS Windows either. Does anyone know anything about
these things? Do they only work with certain types of keyboards? Do I
need to configure anything in software? Should I suspect that mine is
defective?

Celejar

--
ssuds.sourceforge.net - Home of Ssuds and Ssudg, a Simple Sudoku Solver
and Generator