Re: Newie questions about security

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 05:38:27AM -0800, Jordi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just managed to configure my server and router and ips yesterday and
> now I have questions about security. I did a scan of ports and saw the
> only open are the ones I opened. I also set my router firewall to
> "standard".
>
> 1) Must I CLOSE the ports that I don't use? Or just let them not
> forwaded? (they appeared as STEALTH in the ports scan)
> 2) Should I use an extra firewall in my server plus the one that my
> router has ? What about Firestarter? Any other good GPL firewall?
> 3) Should I adjust the firewall in my router to something custom, not
> standard, and what do you recommend me?
> 4) I fear intruders and specially ddos. I saw a IDS called Snort that
> many people use. What do you think? Any other good GPL IDS?
> 5) Now that I have the server running, y suppose I must stop using
> gksudo and use only sudo. Not?

You want to use shorewall:

http://www.shorewall.net

The documentation is first rate, the lead developer (Tom Eastep) answers
practically every question on the mailing list and in the IRC channel.
Start by reading the one-interface or two-interface HOWTO (depending on
how your machine is configured).

Regards,

-Roberto

--