Re: OT

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:33:54 -0800
Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

[snip]

> > Without taking sides on the issue of whether OT has gone too far or
> > whether we should just expect people to use filters and 'ignore
> > thread', I just want to point out that some of the OT'ers are among the
> > most knowledgable and prolifically helpful of the posters on this list
> > (I obviously have no basis for judgement about lurkers), e.g Roberto
> > (my bias: he's apparently religious and anti-abortion, so I have a
> > natural sympathy with him :)), and we should take that into account
> > when criticizing them.
>
> I don't think it is prudent to excuse people from anti-social
> behaviour just because they are
> smarter/more-knowledgeable/otherwise-better than the average
> bear. That said, of course, these kinds of flame-wars are exactly the
> opposite of anti-social behavior.

I certainly agree that intelligence does not excuse anti-social
behavior. My point is that in this case the behavior isn't really
anti-social; the concern is that it wastes readers time, and when the
people in question are contributing a great deal, it's really looking a
gift horse in the mouth to criticize them for something like this.

Celejar

--
ssuds.sourceforge.net - Home of Ssuds and Ssudg, a Simple Sudoku Solver
and Generator