Re: Booting Debian/testing fails

On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 03:40:24PM -0500, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 10:04:00AM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
[..]
> > > Don't reply to this. I'm blocking out this list from now on.
> >
> > I'm curious. I've thought back over this thread and can't recall
> > (without digging through the archives) what happened here that might
> > have provoked this sort of response.
> >
> > I do recall that there was not a lot of good detailed information from
> > OP on the problem, but maybe I missed it. What are we, as a community
> > of trying-to-be-helpful users, doing to cause this reaction? It seems
> > to be happening more and more, though maybe I'm new enough to not see
> > the pattern properly. Clearly this guy is upset, frustrated, but to
> > block out the list that's supposed to be trying to help is
> > disturbing.

> I think that some of the problem may be a function of becoming, dare I
> say it, main stream?  It used to be, people would just do windows since
> to them it was the only OS and it came with the box (so why change).
> Now people, for a variety of reasons (macs change archetecture, problems
> with constantly paying for new MS stuff, whatever), people who before
> wouldn't consider a *N*X are doing so.  And they're not prepared.
>
> They may never have installed an OS before.  They figure, get the CD,
> pop it in, click OK, and its done.  They're not hackers.  They've never
> even opened their boxes.  They think a "hard drive" is the whole case
> sitting on the floor.  When their expectations aren't realized, they
> get:
> 	frustrated: what's going on?
>
> 	scared:  I need the computer for work tomorrow.  Now what?
>
> Debian Stable doesn't work with their newer hardware.  They're scared of
> something called 'testing'.
>
> I think that we need a big "NEW to UNIX-Like Operating Systems like
> Debian?" button on the front page of the web site.  It could take them
> to a short introduction about what *N*X is like, and how to get
> documentation and support.

Kantonix, Mepis, Ubuntu, and others *based* on Debian.
Personally, I don't think that Debian is geared towards newbies but more
towards admins and people who seem to know what they are doing. Hence
the formation of Kantonix, Mepis, Ubuntu, and others *based* on Debian.

Unfortunately the distinction is not made clear anywhere.

--
Chris.
======