a few dumb questions about apt sources.list file contents....

Dear Debianists,

Here is my apt sources.list file;

localhost:/etc/apt# more sources.list
#
# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot amd64 Binary-1 (20061110)]/ etch contrib main

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot amd64 Binary-3 (20061110)]/ etch contrib main deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot amd64 Binary-2 (20061110)]/ etch contrib main deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot amd64 Binary-1 (20061110)]/ etch contrib main

# Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify:
#deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
# Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify:
#deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib

I want to add a line to it to get it to get software updates for Etch from the web i.e. packages not security updates.....

I could use  /ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ for example as the mirror...

An example of the apt sources.list file is given in the apt howto guide:

# See sources.list(5) for more information, especially
    # Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
    # CDROMs are managed through the apt-cdrom tool.
    deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
    deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

    # Uncomment if you want the apt-get source function to work
    #deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free

What does the main contrib part do?

Do I need the source files?

Could I add something like

deb /ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib

to the file and it would work?

Comments welcome

Regards

MIchael Fothergill