Re: top post fixer?

Please turn your line wraps on at 72 columns, indent quoted material, and
reply *above* the singature break.
http://wiki.ursine.ca/Best_Online_Quoting_Habits

Francis Healy wrote:

>> Andy Smith <andy@lug.org.uk> wrote:  On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 07:43:05AM
>> -0800, Francis Healy wrote:
>>> Why is it that most mail clients default to a top post? When you hit
>>> reply, There is a blank space where your cursor it, followed by .....
>>> wrote: and then the message you are replying to.
>>
>> Yes, quoted. What else should they do? My MUA can't read my mind
>> to tell which quotes are irrelevant and should be deleted.
>>
> If top posting is realy the bane of everyone's existance that certian
> voceriferous individuals claim it is, what is wrong with the mail client
> putting the cursor at the at the botttom of the reply and letting you move
> it up in the event you need to delete some irrelevant passage.

English is read from top down, not from the bottom up.

> When I read mailing lists, I generally am going through a series of
> messages.  I want to see the content of the current message first.  If I
> need to read the original post, I don't mind scrooling down.

The rest of us that get more than a few messages a day don't want, and
shouldn't have, to scroll down and piece together a contextual puzzle.
Email and news is a form of public speaking.  Part of public speaking is
sticking to a format that your audience will listen to.
http://wiki.ursine.ca/Best_Online_Quoting_Practices#But_within_my_.28very_limited.2C_closed.29_group_of_colleagues_or_friends_top_post_among_each_other_all_the_time.21

> I see the point of placing the respone within the prior post if you are
> addressing a series of issues point by point, but I don't get all the bile
> that is spewed in the direction of top posters.

Then you don't get very much email.