Re: My two boxes will not talk to each other - now they do.

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 08:14:50 -0500
Ken Heard <ken@heard.name> wrote:

> However, even though the DHCP server is enabled, it appears that once
> the gateway -- or at least mine -- initially assigns an IP address to
> a computer at random it is never changed thereafter.  This
> arrangement consequently obviates the need to assign them manually, a
> complicated procedure.

If you ever get in trouble this should be the first place to look. And
setting static is not so difficult. This is from
my /etc/network/interfaces

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp
iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.77.77
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.77.1

# this is needed if you have resolvconf package installed
# otherwise comment it out and use /etc/resolv.conf
    dns-nameservers 192.168.77.1

I commented out the line with dhcp and added the rest. Please note
that my gateway runs a caching DNS proxy (dnsmasq) so I don't need to
use the real DNS server of my ISP except on the gateway.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)