Re: no virtual terminals after fresh etch install

On Thu Jan 18 14:05:12 2007, Kevin Ross wrote:

> CTRL-ALT-Fx is for switching virtual consoles while X is running.  Use just
> ALT-Fx while at a regular console.

Yes, I should have been more precise.  In my experience (most recently Red
Hat WS3), ALT-Fx works from a regular console.  CTRL-ALT-Fx works from both a
regular console and from X.

In any case, I have a problem now with etch.  Neither ALT-Fx nor CTRL-ALT-Fx
gives a virtual terminal under any circumstance I've tried, including:

  During installation
  After booting to a regular console
  From the X window I get after calling xinit
  From the gnome desktop