Re: How to get those nice console fonts?

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 02:00:53PM +0100, Daniel Haude wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> > I use vga=0x303 and that looks exactly like Knoppix's fonts on my
> > terminals. However, I think this also depends on the kernel
> > configuration options related to the console fonts. Here is what I have:
> >
> > $ grep -i font /boot/config-$(uname -r)
> > # CONFIG_FONTS is not set
> > CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
> > CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y
> >
> > (I use a self-compiled kernel, therefore I do not know how the stock
> >  Debian kernels are set up in that respect.)
>
> My stock kernel (2.4.27-3-k7) gives the same settings, but doesn't let
> me change anything. In fact it seems to ignore any of the vga= options,
> including "vga=ask". Here's what I see in dmesg's output:
>
> Kernel command line: root=/dev/hda5 ro vga=4 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi
> vga=791
> Initializing CPU#0
> Detected 2104.783 MHz processor.
> Console: colour VGA+ 80x30
>
> This is sad because it's a non-X system and I'd like to see some more
> info on the console screen.
>
> Thanks for any hints,

I found by accident that I got a *much* nicer font when I rebuilt
my kernel with a framebuffer driver. Otherwise I assume the system
is using some 'lowest common denominator' graphics which provides
limited font options.

I still have to explore all of the other things one can do with
the framebuffer driver, like the fancy graphics during boot that
so many other distros come with as standard.

A little superficial, but the sort of thing that is quite important
if you want convince non-technical people that it is a professional
quality system.

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com