Linux Drivers, The Kernel, and a Driver List

Hey everyone,

If the default kernel that comes with Debian has all these built in drivers and modules, then shouldn't there be some way to just get a list of every supported device?

If I want to buy a new piece of hardware, and I want to figure out if it's supported or not (BEFORE I buy it), then shouldn't there be some way for me to just dig through my system and find the appropriate driver to confirm that it's supported?

This is just something that's puzzled me for a long time now. If the kernel and its modules basically have all the drivers, then why is it so hard to find a reliable list of supported and unsupported hardware? It's like we have this giant pot full of junk, tons of people have thrown stuff into it, and no one knows what's inside...

If anyone can clear up some of that for me, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
- GM