Re: Newbie question: Exim - trouble receiving incoming emails

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alan Ianson" <alianson@shaw.ca>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2007 4:49 AM
Subject: Re: Newbie question: Exim - trouble receiving incoming emails

It was a common practice in my area that ISP's would block ports like 25 so
you couldn't run servers on a home account, or to prevent spam from
originating on their IP block. I don't think that is the case now but that is something you may want to check. Telneting into your mail server on port 25
may give you clues as to what is happening when an outside server tries to
connect to your host.

I get this when I try to telnet to port 25 remotely:

~$ telnet encomium.com.au 25
220 host.encomium.com.au ESMTP Exim 4.50 Thu, 11 Jan 2007 05:14:53 +1100

-Duncan