Re: /etc/alternatives not working properly

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 09:55:37PM +0000, Wackojacko wrote:
It certainly does, I do not have all of these symlinks. Obviously, I can create them manually but I would prefer to know why they disappeared in the first place. What command is suppose to create them?

Thanks

Hi Wackojacko,
My guess would be to use 'aptitude reinstall' on the packages that
contain the alternative.
Tried this on sun-java packages and still no /usr/bin/java

since update-alternatives comes from the dpkg package, try
reinstalling dpkg, maybe. Or you could look into galternatives which
is a gui front-end to alternatives and maybe that might help. But I'd
try reinstall dpkg first.

Already tried this I think, but tried again and reinstall doesn't work and purge wants to remove half my install.

Thanks anyway

Wackojacko