From: Mike McCarty [mailto:Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2007 3:02 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: export question

Tony Heal wrote:
> Here is the problem. What you suggest will place the variable in the
> environment, but that is what export is supposed to do.
>
>>From the man for bash
> export [-fn] [name[=word]] ...
> export -p
>     The supplied names are marked for automatic export to the environment
of
> subsequently executed commands.
>
> Export should allow me to use the variable in other scripts, but it does
not
> seem to be doing what it does if used in the profile.

I showed you how to do what you want. I showed that it
does what you want by example. I don't know why you are
arguing with me. The example I gave does exactly what you
just described. If you do what I suggested, subsequent
scripts will see those variables.

> That is what I am confused about.

You wouldn't be confused if you would lift a finger
and try my example for yourself. You are being lazy.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.