Re: Does XFS work with LVM?

On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 12:00:07PM +0100, Marko Randjelovic wrote:

> And why ext3? I would never recommend it, since it eats you 10% of the
> partition. I don't remember the exact number, but it's around that. So
> if you have partition of 10GB, if you format the partition with
> reiserfs, JFS, XFS, you have 10GB. With ext3 you have 9GB.

mke2fs(8) (which is what you get when you run 'man mkfs.ext3'), states:
       -m reserved-blocks-percentage
              Specify the percentage of the filesystem blocks reserved for the
              super-user.   This  avoids  fragmentation, and allows root-owned
              daemons, such as syslogd(8), to continue to  function  correctly
              after non-privileged processes are prevented from writing to the
              filesystem.  The default percentage is 5%.

So, the default is 5%, and you can make it as small or as large as you
want.  Incidentally, that is a *good* thing, since it prevents a rouge
unprivileged process from crashing the system by filling the disks with
crap.

Of course, you are more than welcome to use reiserfs, JFS, or XFS.
However, reiserfs, from my understanding, has its own set of issues and
JFS and XFS are best left to "experts" or at least to people who know
what they are doing.  For example, please read these two threads about
XFS:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/6/29/10

Now, don't get me wrong.  I like XFS and use it whenever I can.
However, without the right hardware, you are simply asking for trouble.
I can't comment specifically on JFS, but as an enterprise filesystem, it
probably helps greatly if you are not running it on your typical
bottom-of-the-barrel consumer-grade gear.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez