Re: Slow USB disk

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 04:31:27AM +0100, Benjamí Villoslada wrote:
> KDE mounts USB disk with this options:
>
> /dev/sdb1 on /media/disk type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,sync,data=ordered)
>
> And is slow.  When I mount it manually, without sync option, then write fast.
>
> I'm looking how tho modify the KDE mount in order to avoid the sync option,
> but I don't locate this HOWTO.  Maybe the Hal parameters?  Thanks.

You might want to rethink that.  The sync option is nice because that
means that writes are completed immediately to disk.  This is nice
because it means that if you pull the disk out without umounting it, you
are less likely to lose data (unless you do it while an actual data
transfer is occurring).  Without sync, the write could take an
arbitrarily long time to be committed to disk, if there are not enough
data to convince the driver to flush the cache.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez