Re: Switching graphics cards, how?

On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 10:42:14AM -0800, Alan Ianson wrote:
> On Wed January 3 2007 10:35, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 10:28:36 -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > > My old Matrox video card is dying. I have a new e-geforce
> > > 6200 and an Etch system. I have picked up on some issues about drivers
> > > for mVidia cards, but have no idea whether they are show stoppers for
> > > my using this 6200. And I have no clear idea as to how to reconfigure
> > > xorg most simply. I think it should just work -- if I type the right
> > > command at the right time. Am I correct? What is the magic command?
> > > Where should I look for a good guide to trouble shooting, before I get
> > > into trouble?
> >
> > The "nv" driver of Xorg supports Geforce 6XXX cards, but it only offers
> > 2D acceleration. If that is good enough for you (and assuming that the
> > "e-Geforce" has the same chipset), it should be as easy as running
> > "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" as root, selecting the "nv" driver
> > (should be auto-detected anyway) and starting X afterwards.
> >
> > If you want 3D acceleration then you will need the proprietary nvidia
> > driver. A good source of information is
> >
> > http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/
>
> The nvidia drivers are available in etch/sid now. Just select the driver for
> your kernel along with nvidia-glx (and nvidia-glx-ia32 for 32bit app support
> on a 64bit system) along with nvidia-settings and nvidia-xconfig if
> desired.. :)

The source is available as well if you roll your own kernel.  Be sure
to check the information that comes with it for what setings are needed
within the kernel (I seem to remember that there is some option you
**don't** choose in the config that one might otherwaie pick).  Using
make-kpkg works well.

The only thing to watch for are xorg upgrades which require new driver
versions.  If you stay on top of that (either by redoing the
kernel/module or holding xorg until the dust settles... ;-) then you
won't run into problems.

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,