Re: smooth upgrades

On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 01:12:29PM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:

> Hope that is enough of an explanation for you.

Just to make sure I didn't do anything wrong I will detail my steps:

My setup:

think:~# cat /etc/apt/apt.conf
APT::Default-Release "unstable";
think:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ftp.ro.debian.org/debian/ sid main non-free contrib
deb-src http://ftp.ro.debian.org/debian/ sid main non-free contrib

deb http://ftp.ro.debian.org/debian/ experimental main non-free contrib

The output of 'apt-cache policy' shows priority 990 for sid, as it
should:

think:~# apt-cache policy
Package files:
 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     release a=now
   1 http://ftp.ro.debian.org experimental/contrib Packages
     release o=Debian,a=experimental,l=Debian,c=contrib
     origin ftp.ro.debian.org
   1 http://ftp.ro.debian.org experimental/non-free Packages
     release o=Debian,a=experimental,l=Debian,c=non-free
     origin ftp.ro.debian.org
   1 http://ftp.ro.debian.org experimental/main Packages
     release o=Debian,a=experimental,l=Debian,c=main
     origin ftp.ro.debian.org
 990 http://ftp.ro.debian.org sid/contrib Packages
     release o=Debian,a=unstable,l=Debian,c=contrib
     origin ftp.ro.debian.org
 990 http://ftp.ro.debian.org sid/non-free Packages
     release o=Debian,a=unstable,l=Debian,c=non-free
     origin ftp.ro.debian.org
 990 http://ftp.ro.debian.org sid/main Packages
     release o=Debian,a=unstable,l=Debian,c=main
     origin ftp.ro.debian.org
Pinned packages:

Let's see what happens if I chande 'unstable' to 'sid'

think:~# sed -i -e s/unstable/sid/ /etc/apt/apt.conf
think:~# cat /etc/apt/apt.conf
APT::Default-Release "sid";

Now the priority for sid is 500

 500 http://ftp.ro.debian.org sid/contrib Packages
 500 http://ftp.ro.debian.org sid/non-free Packages
 500 http://ftp.ro.debian.org sid/main Packages
     release o=Debian,a=unstable,l=Debian,c=main
     origin ftp.ro.debian.org
Pinned packages:

Let's remove apt.conf to see if it makes any difference:

think:~# rm /etc/apt/apt.conf
rm: remove regular file `/etc/apt/apt.conf'? y

The priority is still 500

[...]

I'll put it back:

think:~# echo 'APT::Default-Release "unstable";' > /etc/apt/apt.conf
[...]
think:~#

Note: Through the whole test 'experimental' stayed at priority 1!

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)