Re: cli for iso files

Let me get this straight, you want to use a WM that is less resource
hungry, but want an alternative to nautilus. You know you can install
nautilus and run it on any window manager right? Are you that tight for
harddisk space, and memory that you need something simple.

In most cases unless your running a 486, or have something like a 5 gig
harddrive your not going to see a big speed increase for going to
smaller WM. Yes you will have more space, and use less memory, but I
would proably say your memory usage is not going to be drastically
reduced. The only reason really is disk space, but nowadays it's almost a
non issue. Now going to say a console and not running Xorg, or Xfree that
might be worth it, if your memory is that low.

I have to agree with what has already been posted, most of the Gui's just
call cdrecord, or mkisofs, or growisofs so knowing how to use those
programs is almost a requirement. I know the man pages for those programs
can be hard to digest, but most come with samples, and a quick google
search will give you the needed examples. Also chances are that they will
have more options than their gui cousins.

But switching to another WM and not thinking you can use you burning app
because it's gnome or kde is doing yourself a disfavor. Use the programs
you like be it KDE, or Gnome you might use more diskspace but that is
what hard drives are for.

For example I have a laptop which runs Etch, WM is fluxbox running
Rox-filer. It only has a 10 gig drive, I have most of Gnome, and KDE
installed. Because I like Konqueror as a Man page viewer, and I like a
few Gnome applications. Doing a quick du -h shows that I have over 4
gig's left on home, and I am only using about 2 gig total if you count my
home and all other partitions. This baby only has 256 MB and I must say
Xorg probably takes up more then it's fair share of memory. It runs great
with etch, now if it only had say 128 MB or less then I might be in some
hurt.

You might want to do a google search, and see if you can find some
benchmarks, or memory usage stats for the WM's you are going to use. This
might give you an idea of the benefit you will recieve by switching WM's,
I must say that in most cases you will not see a drastic increase. Unless
you compare load times of Xorg with say KDE or Gnome, to say Fluxbox, or
one of OpenBox.

Gnu_Raiz