Re: root on removable drive

On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 05:00:12PM -0500, draeath wrote:

> I'm trying to migrate to debian for the upcoming Etch release. I'm
> currently using Ubuntu.
>
> The only thing holding me back is the kernel will panic as / is absent.
> My partition layout:
>
> /dev/hda ( internal HD )
> /dev/hda1 NTFS ( windows )
> /dev/hda2 EXT3 ( /boot )
> /dev/hda3 linux-swap
>
> /dev/sda ( external HD, USB 2.0 (UHCI) )
> /dev/sda1 EXT3( / )
> /dev/sda2 extended
> /dev/sda5 FAT32 ( shared space for moving files with drive )
>

> In ubuntu, it works fine (and I can use UUIDs no less!).
>
> I've tried using this:
> root=UUID=f7b53c4d-6f56-4e99-94fb-ae66d975f167
>
> and also this:
> root=/dev/sda1
>
> Both fail. Is this due to the kernel version? Ubuntu is running
> 2.6.17-10
>

> Any suggestions? I REQUIRE / to be on the external drive.
have you verified that the modules for usb disks are on the initramfs?
(for initramfs-tools, they should be in /etc/initramfs-tools/modules,
for yaird you will have to take a look yourself):
sd_mod
scsi_mod
ehci-hcd
uhci-hcd
usb-storage

to check which modules are actually on the initramfs, do a
zcat /boot/initrd.img-`uname -r`|cpio -t|grep modules
(if you are running a different kernel version then the target, insert
the correct version, of course)

another possibility would also be to increase the timeout how long the
init script waits for the root disk, though i don't know the parameter
atm...

i hope the helps...

yours
albert