Re: (OT) Prejudice against sendmail?

Matej Cepl <ceplm@seznam.cz> writes:

> Paul Johnson wrote:
>>> Sorry, no.  On anything bigger than your personal mail
>>> server, Qmail is going to require replacing with a modern MTA.
>>
>> There's a reason to not like it other than just djb-damage?
>
> Aside from DJB (which is big reason enough for me), the biggest reason why I
> wouldn't touch qmail with ten-feet pole is vendor lock-in. With reasonably
> complicated configuration of sendmail/postfix/exim you can switch between
> each other with reasonable amount of work. With qmail (in either direction)
> you just have to start from scratch.

qmail stores its configuration in plain-text files in a few
well-documented places and in .qmail files in users' home directories.
While other mail systems don't generally recognize the .qmail files,
they could be converted to .forward files or entries in /etc/aliases
with a very simple shell script.  So I don't think it's substantially
harder to migrate to or away from qmail than between any other two
MTAs.

I agree that there are licensing issues with qmail.

----Scott.