Re: Using Ubuntu when I'm used to Debian.

On Thursday 06 April 2006 04:19, Hal Vaughan wrote this for perusal by us all:
>---> On Wednesday 05 April 2006 13:16, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>---> > On  4 Apr 2006, Hal Vaughan wrote:
>---> > > I never said they were hostile toward me.  And that is not what
>---> > > I've seen in terms of complaints.  It's usually along the lines of
>---> > > "Why can't they edit text files, like we do?"  I have yet to see
>---> > > someone complain that the problem with a gui or easy-to-use config
>---> > > program is that it creates problems (other than Webmin).
>---> >
>---> >         Let me put it this way: I volunteer my time to scratch an
>---> >  itch, usually something that I need for myself.  I also am concerned
>---> >  with code complexity, ease of maintenance as well as ease of use,
>---> >  and ease of use vs ease of learning.
>--->
>---> Then, by your own admission, you're not volunteering your time.  You
> are ---> writing a program YOU need.  The time you put in is to create what
> YOU ---> need, not what others need.  (Your comments farther down support
> this ---> even more.)  You are contributing code and a project, but not
> your ---> time, since you've just made it clear what time you spend is on
> making ---> what you need.
>--->
>---> That's like a man that lives in a cabin on the far side of a stream
> from ---> the local town.  He builds a bridge so he can get to the town and
> then ---> walks into town and boasts to everyone, "See that bridge?  I
> built it ---> for you.  I spent my money on the materials and put in MY
> time for your ---> good.  You can use that bridge now because of me."  All
> the while, his ---> goal was a bridge for himself, which is apparent
> because the bridge is ---> narrow enough for only one person, doesn't have
> hand rails, and is only ---> strong enough for one person at a time.  Yet
> he still crows like a ---> rooster that he built it for the town.
>--->
>---> True, the town can use it, but only because he hasn't put up a toll
> gate ---> or locked it.  The differences here are that code does not wear
> down ---> like a bridge and that it takes a bit of effort to release the
> project ---> by either putting it on your own site or one like Source
> Forge. --->
>---> >         When someone asks for a feature I don't think adds enough to
>---> >  be worth the time, I probably won't do it -- though  well formulated
>---> >  patches are still likely to be accepted.
>--->
>---> Just like the man with the bridge.  He builds what he wants, and does
>---> not worry about what others need.  There's nothing wrong with that, but
>---> don't tell people you're volunteering your time when all you're doing
>---> is writing the code you want in the first place.
>--->
>---> > > I think you've completely mistaken my point about suggestions, and
> [...]

Well put, a good reply to the points made and an excellent analogy.

I agree, volunteering is just Hal describes. Doing something to help others
without any expectation, even of thanks, though that would be nice and
doesn't happen often enough. Especially when something is found in the
archives. Just because it resides there, doesn't make it any less valuable.

I have been remiss by finding fixes in the Deb-User archives and not
acknowledging it here.

So I would like to correct that now...... Thank you all for your assistance.

Charlie

--
Registered Linux User:- 329524

Brilliant Debian Sarge 3.1