Re: kernels: i386 vs optimized

Chris Bannister wrote:

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 09:26:13AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
drifting OT, but to help improve your "snappiness" try some of the lightwieght WM's (like IceWM) or a tiled one like WMII which I'm really starting to like.

Or even fvwm. Check it out - very lightweight - very configurable.
Checkout some of the screenshots at http://www.fvwm.org/ - very nice!

I'll second fvwm. I have been using it ever since I started with Linux and Debian (somewhere around Bo, or Hamm, on a 12 MB 486 box, IIRC). I have briefly looked at others when someone has recommended a wm that sounds interesting, but it has ALWAYS been BRIEFLY. I come right back to fvwm. It is small, lightweight and configurable. I don't need icons on the desktop, they just get in the way, but I have read that even that is possible.

NOTE: I am now running a box with an Athlon K7 2400+ and 1.25 GB of memory and I am still quite happy with fvwm.

--
Marc Shapiro

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.
What?! Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here.
Boom. Sooner or later ... boom!

- Susan Ivanova: B5 - Grail