Cmdline mail client that talks to remote SMTP server?

I would like to send email from a CentOS/RHEL/Debian/Fedora command
line client.  However, I want to be able to send the mail via a remote
SMTP server, and thus said email cmdline app must also be a SMTP
client.

Does any such thing exist?

I man mail(1)/mailx(1) on a Debian3.1-testing system and I found no
SMTP reference in the man page.

Do I effectively need to write some PHP, Python, or Perl app to do
this...something that uses an SMTP module from one of the
aforementioned language libraries?

-Matt