CD Writer Issues

Hi. Brand new debian installation. I'm a little puzzled that I can't seem to burn a CD. On boot the /var/log/messages confirms that there's a DVDRW on hdc and a CDRW on hdd. Yet when I go to the File Manager-Go-CD Creator, drop a file into the burn:/// window, then hit Write To Disk things are not looking like I'd expect them to. First, the Write Disk To dropdown only gives me one choice: File Image. So moving ahead with that one choice writes and .iso file to the hard drive. But I then try to write, by dragging, that .iso file to the CD-ROM 2:cdrom1 icon and it comes up with a message "the destination disk is read-only." This, with a CDRW in the drive. Same results with the DVD writer drive.

I think I'm following the process outlined in the Help file but not getting the expected results. It's probably something simple and I guess maybe I''ve been staring at it too long.

Anyone have any ideas what's missing.

Thanks

mt