chattr maildir

Hi,

I just found some info about it beeing a good idea to chattr +A on Maildirfolders to prevent that disk i/o is wasted on writing the last accessed time, which is irrelevant in the case.

As I'm just trying it out, I figured, if I chattr -R +A on a folder, will it apply to new files as well? I did a quick test and it seems to be correct, but I cant find anything in the manpages that tells me this explicitly, does anyone know this for sure?

Or does anyone have any other pros/cons for this?

Thanks, Eric