Re: I'm looking for a better XShell

On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 01:14:57PM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
>On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 07:59:35PM +0000, Magnus Therning wrote:
>>On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 01:32:58AM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
>>>Gnome-terminal has a feature that I really like. It underlines text
>>>that has the syntax of a URL. If you point to the text with your
>>>cursor and cntrl-click, it starts your browser in another window and
>>>sends it to look at the URL. But there is a problem: I can't get the
>>>rest of gnome desktop to work, and if I try to run gnome-terminal
>>>under KDE, I can't configure fonts for the gnome-terminal window. To
>>>configure fonts for gnome-terminal I think I should use
>>>gnome-control-center, but it seems to fight with KDE control center.
>>>Sometimes it works, but not very often.
>>
>>You can't get GNOME to work? What do you want, and what are you doing?
>>
>>Debian's GNOME shouldn't be difficult to get working...
>>

>First, I think I may be making progress toward satisfying my wishes, by
>installing icewm. I don't know for sure because I've so liked the
>initial fonts and colors that I haven't tried to change them. In a way
>my problem may be solved already.
>
>But it has been my experience in the past that things change in over
>time in a windowing environment, and it is often hard to put them back
>the way you liked them. So, for now, I am somewhat optimistic.

Ah. Yes, I recognise that problem. Upgrading from one version to another
is, in my experience, a process where the new versions configuration
slowly moves towards previous one's as I find the small things that have
been changed/improved in the new version. I wouldn't mind seeing desktop
developers adopt a similar attitude towards configurations as web-app
developers have towards databases--if something changes in the database
layout there is always a way to upgrade your current database to the
layout in a way that preserves the data.

>Gnome: My problem with gnome is that when I install the packages and
>choose it in the display manager (kdm), I get a garble of incompletely
>drawn windows, and there is repainting whenever I move the mouse, which
>repainting makes the garble worse.  This happens on a Sarge system that
>is a clean new installation.  I'm puzzled about this and about the
>installation. I thought putting a new ext2fs on the root partition
>would wipe out all old information, but somehow old garbage seems to be
>surviving and poisoning things. But, for now, I hope to avoid
>confronting this issue.

Hmmm, never seen that problem. How does it look for a "virgin" user?
(You can always create a temporary dummy user just to ake a quick look
and then delete all traces of the user if you don't want to keep it
around.)

Fiddling with the root partition wouldn't necessarily have any impact on
user configurations, what you need to do is clear out your user's
configuration (~/.gnome*).

It's also worth checking whether you've installed all the GOMe packages
you need. The easiest way is to install 'gnome'. Which may bring in a
few more packages than you strictly need, but it's easier to trim down
later once you have things working.

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick
to anger.
     -- J.R.R Tolkien