Re: GDM screen too big for display

nikias wrote:
> [...]
of the file

would get the effect
"1280x960", which is wrong for

"640x480"

> >>I think I use /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
> >>the Modes line shows: "1024x768" "1600x1200"
"800x600" "640x480"
> >>Correct if you ask me...
> >>
> >>On the other hand, could it be that GDM still uses
the XF86Config-4
> >>file and gnome the xorg.conf file? Probably a
silly thaught. But the
> >>XF86Config-4 file is still resident.
> >>

> >It's using the highest possible resolution, you
need to get rid of
> >"1600x1200" in your config.
> >I had this problem about 6 months ago and this
fixed it.

> >Kind Regards,
> >B.Hoffmann
> >

> You're correct on this. Although it works, it's not
the nice'd solution
> because my monitor(lcd) supports 1600x1200.
> In my Gnome-session I can use that resolution
without a problem.
> And why does gdm try to use the highest resolution?
(displaying it wrong)

> Thanks for the response.

I had the same problem, but the edit in
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 fixed me up ...and this only
occured because Orig, I set it too high, since I was
having a problem even getting to a DE at first(without
having to 'startx' from text mode only)  -- BUT I
think I recall being able to 'mess' with the initial
Login GUI screen by using the Mousewheel + CTRL, or
similar (Font sizes - Increases/Decreases). I can't
recall exactly, b/c I was trying all different things
at that time.

Perhaps;
$ dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
# reconfigure the whole XF86Config-4 file's contents.

$ dpkg-reconfigure gdm
# to be certain you're using gdm, instead of xdm or
kdm

A bit of info about Both and also about Xorg
http://www.mepislovers-wiki.org/index.php?title=Dpkg-reconfigure_xserver-xorg