Re: moving /var

On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 02:25:51PM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-12-23 at 16:55 +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
[..]
> > /var/run and var/lock must NOT be on the root partition.
> [...snip...]
>
> As of right NOW, Ubuntu uses a "different" way of booting.
>
> *IF* /var/run and /var/lock are NOT on the initial root (/) filesystem
> before the other filesystems are mounted then it fails to boot properly.

Aha!  This may explain it.  No, it wasn't ubuntu installed but the
original setup came from knoppix (just might have been mepis, which is
definitely ubuntuish, but I am pretty sure it was knoppix).  Probably,
then a similar issue.  I'll try to take the box to somewhere with adsl
and do a full dist-upgrade to etch, including a latest kernel and see if
things are more regular afterwards.  There are still a stack of packages
lingering minor numbers behind etch as a result of the lack of available
bandwidth for upgrading.

Thanks again to everybody for the insights.
--
richard