Re: smooth upgrades

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 05:25:51PM -0800, tom arnall wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 December 2006 15:41, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 02:20:16PM -0800, tom arnall wrote:
> > > and until 'etch' becomes 'stable', do i get rid of the ref's to 'stable'
> > > in sources.list once i've replaced 'testing' with 'etch'? or have the
> > > ref's to 'stable' been ignored all along, beginning at the point where i
> > > put the ref's to 'testing' in sources.list?
> >
> > ugh. that's another problem. what is the contents of apt.conf?
>
> i have only '/usr/share/doc/apt/examples/apt.conf'. content is:
>
> 	// $Id: apt.conf,v 1.43 1999/12/06 02:19:38 jgg Exp $
> 	/* This file is a sample configuration file with a few harmless sample
>    	options.
> 	*/
>
> 	APT
> 	{
> 	  // Options for apt-get
> 	  Get
> 	  {
>    	  Download-Only "false";
> 	  };
>
> 	};
>
> 	// Options for the downloading routines
> 	Acquire
> 	{
> 	  Retries "0";
> 	};
>
> 	// Things that effect the APT dselect method
> 	DSelect
> 	{
> 	  Clean "auto";   // always|auto|prompt|never
> 	};
>
> 	DPkg
> 	{
> 	  // Probably don't want to use force-downgrade..
> 	  Options {"--force-overwrite";}
> 	}
>

> > and how about uname -a?
>
> debian:/etc/apt# uname -a
> Linux debian 2.6.16.4 #1 PREEMPT Sun Apr 16 06:39:49 PDT 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
>

> > IOW, what are you currently running? just because you have both stable
> > and testing in your sources.list doesn't mean you are necessarily
> > running one or the other.
> >
> > If you are truly running testing, then you can comment out the stable
> > lines. If you are running stable then the move to testing is a big one
> > and not taken lightly.

> the content of sources.list btw is:
>
> 	deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian		\
> 		stable  	main	contrib 	non-free
> 	#deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian-non-US	\
> 		stable/non-US	main	contrib 	non-free
> 	deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian		\
> 		etch 	main	contrib 	non-free
> 	#deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian-non-US	\
> 		etch/non-US  main	contrib 	non-free
>
> 	#deb http://linux.csua.berkeley.edu/debian/	\
> 		stable  	main	non-free	contrib
> 	 deb http://security.debian.org/ 		\
> 	 	stable/updates 	main 	contrib 	non-free
> 	#deb http://linux.csua.berkeley.edu/debian/ 	\
> 		etch 	main 	non-free 	contrib
> 	 deb http://security.debian.org/ 		\
> 	 	etch/updates main 	contrib 	non-free
>
> i replaced 'testing' with 'etch' today and haven't used apt-get since.
>
> how do i tell which version (testing/stable) i'm running?

you'll have to check the version numbers of a few things. I don't know
how apt behaves if you don't specify a default distribution when there
are multiple sources. for example, I have my apt_preferences set for
"sid" on this machine as follows:

APT::Default-Release "sid";

on another machine I have it set in apt.conf, which is probably
wrong.

regardless, what is your version of libc6? that's probably the best
indicator at this point. one of my etch boxes is running

dpkg -l | grep libc6
ii  libc6                     2.3.6.ds1-8                     GNU C
Library: Shared libraries
ii  libc6-dev                 2.3.6.ds1-8                     GNU C
Library: Development Libraries and Hea
ii  libc6-i686                2.3.6.ds1-8                     GNU C
Library: Shared libraries [i686 optimi

stable is currently, per packages.debian.org, 2.3.2

so figure out which you're running and that will clue you in to what
to do. If you're actually running stable, despite the entries in
sources.list, then you should probably stay there until etch moves
stable and we see what the shake-up is. If you are running etch, then
you can leave your entries like they are, or delete stable if you
want, as etch and stable will soon be synonomous. Once etch is stable,
you'll probably want to delete the etch lines so you don't someday
follow etch into oldstable.