Re: How do I upgrade my stock kernel via aptitude?

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 10:59:34PM -0500, Grok Mogger wrote:
> Douglas Tutty wrote:
> >On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 09:26:44PM -0500, Grok Mogger wrote:
> >>Hey everyone,
> >>
> >>I am running a 2.4.27 kernel that came with my sarge system, no
> >>fancy custom stuff.  I recently got a Debian Security update
> >>telling me about these vulnerabilities in the 2.4 kernel, and so
> >>naturally I'd like to upgrade to the 2.4.27-10 kernel.
> >>
> >>I'm imagining that since I'm just using a stock kernel, this
> >>should be as simple as "aptitude upgrade $KERNEL-PACKAGE".
> >>Unfortunately, I can't quite seem to figure out what
> >>$KERNEL-PACKAGE should be.  "aptitude search $whatever" turns up
> >>all sorts of kernel related results, and I don't see an obvious
> >>one that makes sense.  "aptitude upgrade" also doesn't seem to
> >>upgrade my kernel.

you have probably selected one of the specific kernels as opposed to a
kernel meta-package. The specific kernels do not upgrade. You have to
either manually select the kernel you want to install, or install one
of the kernel meta-packages. I can't recall whether sarge is still
using kernel-image-2.x.xxx-xx or is using linux-image... try to do

apt-get install kernel-image-2.4-<arch> where <arch> is 386, 486, 586,
k7, etc...

if that doesn't work, try it using

apt-get install linux-image-2.4... instead.

that should get you a kernel meta-package that always depends on the
latest kernel and will get you regular upgrades.

the alternative is to search through the various kernels available and
decide when you want to upgrade to a new one. check out apt-cache
search.

hth,