Re: file permissions

Brad Rogers wrote:
On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 04:56:30 -0800
Freddy Freeloader <fredddy@cableone.net> wrote:

Hello Freddy,

all aspects of the tools available, but all users still have execute permissions there.
Why is this done?  I can't really see a good reason for it.  What am
I missing?

I can't answer your query as such.  However, you are aware, I hope,
that not all users have /sbin in their $PATH?  So, even though all
users have execute permission, not all users can get at the directory,
anyway.

I beg to differ. From inside a regular user account run "/sbin/ifconfig -a" and see what you get. By including the absolute path to the command you bypass the necessity of having the command in the user's $PATH. Not all ifconfig switches will work, but -a does. Some tools located in /sbin will warn of permissions, such as parted, others will respond differently than parted and ifconfig, but a user can access the commands by just using the absolute path to the command.

Even though there are security measures in place, such as permission checking by the tools themselves, I'm still surprised that the entire world is given execute permissions.