Re: flashplayer9? (Mystery solved)

David Jardine wrote:
On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 12:27:48PM -0800, Marc Shapiro wrote:

Yes, but there are actually quite a few hidden configuration directories that are set with permissions of 700. I can see that this prevents anyone else from viewing your configs, but I don't see a danger in that (viewing, but not changing). I could just change all of them from 700 to 755. Then updatedb would find them all and locate will actually get everything, until the next time that some program creates its config directory with a 700 permission.

You might find that some programs (fetchmail is an example I can think of) refuse to run if permissions on the config files are not strict enough.
This is why I would prefer to simply change updatedb.conf so that updatedb runs as 'root' instead of as 'nobody'. If no one can give me a good reason not to, then that is what I will do.
--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com